What? You didn’t think that my ruminations on my monkey mind were going away just because I completed the 28 day challenge, did you? Of course not; this monkey demands attention and gets ornery if he’s ignored for too long.
First, a disclaimer: No monkeys were harmed or experimented on in the making of this post. You can go ahead and back off now, PETA.
When I undertook this meditation challenge, I was most concerned about staying with daily practice. In the past, I had slid out of the habit faster than my work clothes at the end of a hard day. But, that hasn’t been the case on the go-round. I dutifully meditate every day for at least a few focused minutes. I do it without thinking. It has become habit.
For some reason, this bothers me a bit. Maybe I’m overthinking this (totally possible given my analytical nature), but it seems like I should be mindful about mindfulness. Intentional. For a time, I was experimenting with different guided meditations, various chants, and assorted music. I did walking meditations and silent meditations. I feel like I’ve turned it over to autopilot recently. I tend to go for the same chant generated by the same app, plug in the same headphones, lie on the same spot, and just go.
Is this good? I am practicing, after all. I can’t help but feel like I’m slighting my monkey; however. If I don’t actively pursue different options and continue to read about meditation, am I stunting my monkey’s growth? Or, by reading and studying, am I distracting myself from what is really important; focusing too much on the “doing” rather than “being”? Maybe my discomfort with the status quo is arising from the fact that I am still learning to BE.
I think I’ll go meditate.
- Taming the Monkey Mind: Graduation Day (lessonsfromtheendofamarriage.com)
- Taming the Monkey Mind: Accepting the Way of the Monkey (lessonsfromtheendofamarriage.com)
- Taming the Monkey Mind: Natural Habitat (lessonsfromtheendofamarriage.com)
- Techniques For Meditating On The Breath (badlamaguide.wordpress.com)
- Taming the Monkey Mind: Total Immersion (lessonsfromtheendofamarriage.com)
- Taming the Monkey Mind: Shaving the Monkey (lessonsfromtheendofamarriage.com)
- Enter The Monkey (badlamaguide.wordpress.com)