How to Become a Huffington Post Blogger

1. I am always impressed with those who are willing to share the “nuts and bolts” about how to do something. So much of what you get on the internet is teaser. Thank you for taking the time and energy to compose this post. On behalf of all who requested and all who will benefit…I thank you.

Be encouraged!

2. Thank you for the helpful and insightful tips!

3. MAYO PR says:

As an established writer already, I found your tips great and inspiring for budding writers. I write for Technorati, Examiner and soon YAHOO, but was curious about Huff Post, too. I have about a dozen
    blogs of my own, one that gets pick up by IMDB on entertainment news weekly.

I also moderated a private group on linkedin.com that also helps budding PR pros learn “How to” stuff in the industry. thanks for sharing your well written article. Geo.

4. Hi! Nice to “meet” you!

5. Great post and a big thank you for sharing. I’m with you on sharing and trying to help other authors, etc. Very glad to connect with you. Happy New Year. Paulette

6. I’m sorry. Just e-mailed you back. 🙂

7. kasey8 says:

I’m so grateful to anyone who is generous and willing to pull back the curtain! Thank you so much for such helpful advice and Happy New Year!

8. canadianity says:

Very nice advice. Thank you for sharing.

9. Thank you so much for sharing these tips!

10. Great blog, thanks for all the useful tips.

11. kswigga says:

Thanks for the tips!

12. Lee Lumley says:

Thanks posting this Robin. Ive been considering branching out into other areas with my writing. This might be a good place to start.

13. gemmautting says:

I love how “old” blog posts can stay so fresh. Thanks for stumbling upon my blog LIsa, since this allowed me to encounter you – your astonishing story, your lucid, helpful writing and well – who knows! Much appreciated! Hey – and congratulations on the upcoming wedding.

14. Fat says:

My partner and I stumbled over here coming from a different website and thought I may as well check things out.

I like what I see so i am just following you.
    Look forward to exploring your web page for a second time.

15. Shrikrishnap says:

Thanks a lot for this.
    I am following the steps you have mentioned. Hoping soon be there as blogger 🙂

16. wsvd says:

Thank you for your post! How long did it take HuffPo to get back to you after you submitted your blog?

• They usually don’t respond to me unless there is a change needed. The posts have gone live in anywhere from 3-10 days. I assume this is based upon their backlog and the topics of the other pieces in the queue.

17. I don’t think I have anything to say to the Huffington Post, but this sounds like really great advice!

18. Ned's Blog says:

Excellent advice that applies to seasoned writers as well as those just starting out — which is usually the sign of wisdom in general. Nicely done 🙂

19. Anonymous says:

Thanks for the info. Quick question though – many people keep saying (including HuffPost) that you can submit a full blog via the Pitch function, but there is a1000 character (only 150 words!) limit. I’m confused – is there actually a way to submit a full 700-800 word blog?

20. Anonymous says:

Thanks for your quick reply. There doesn’t seem to be a way to attach or link to anything – 1000 characters is all. I’ll just have to switch my frame from writing the perfect post crafting the perfect pitch. 🙂 Thanks again!

21. HR says:

I was wondering the same thing re: the 1000 word character. WIll ahve to do the same! Thanks for this article.

22. Thanks for this post, it’s very helpful!

23. Laurence says:

Nice Site, Stick to the wonderful work. Thank you!

24. Anonymous says:

I am not sure that your tips are the reason Huffington has you blogging for them. You have quite an amazing story, that is widely of human interest. And you write very well ! I have just read a couple of your blogs. Good luck !

• I’m sure my crazy story has helped me gain attention since it is a pretty good hook. And, yes, you have to be able to write in order to be published in HuffPo. However, one of the beautiful things about media today is that anyone can write and find an audience. Pretty cool, especially when they have something interesting to say:)

Thanks!

25. susanhayden says:

This is an awesome piece, and as a result I will be brave and send them some of my stuff! Your writing is fabulous, am very honored about the follow. Thank you, ma’am! 🙂

• Go for it! It’s fun to write for such a big audience. Just be forewarned, the comments there can get pretty harsh. Don’t take them seriously…I think some people view putting down HuffPo writes as their calling:)

Best of luck!

• susanhayden says:

Thanks for the heads up – I’m new to blogging, and sometimes have to hold the ipad at an arm’s length and read the comments with one eye shut. They scare the hell out of me, those people. All par for the course, I guess… 🙂

• Great image and I totally understand! It’s a scary and vulnerable feeling putting your writing and you life out there. It’s hard at first, but really does help you learn to not take things so personally. When someone responds to 1000 words with such anger or bitterness, it’s obvious that it triggered them in some way. The anger may seem to be directed at you, but it’s really at something/someone in their past. That perspective helped me distance from the the negativity and even learn to like it – it means I’m making people think and feel and, on a selfish note, it gives me great idead for future posts.

• susanhayden says:

Wise, counsel, wow. I’m totally going to cut and paste this and read it when I next get lambasted. You just can’t be real and safe at the same time. As someone super-sensitive, this is probably going to be my biggest challenge. But even dealing with the real people in your life can be tricky. My husband was horrified by my post about marriage feeling crap. Even though none of it could have been a surprise to him, I think seeing it in black and white can be difficult. Anyhow, let me check out those Huff Post folk, and have a look at what they publish. And what else you’ve done! Have an awesome weekend!

26. @livingaha says:

Ya. This was awesome. Thanks for putting it out there. Soon to be launching my self-achievement blog and finishing my first book and your advice here seems golden for helping to get noticed. I’ll keep you posted as to how it goes!

27. helenhawkes says:

Fantastic post. I found it really helpful for those of us who are new to blogging. Thanks so much for sharing your expertise.

28. Since I have been more open to sharing my insight, life lessons, experiences and stories on a platform as Huffingpost, I have considered becoming a contributor for the platform. Your post has given me a great insight on how to make the next step! I am truly grateful 🙂

Xx
    Carey

29. Sherisa D says:

Hi there! So glad to have found your site. Having my work published on HuffPo is one of my many writing goals for 2014 (& beyond). Thank you for this very straight-forward and common sense suggestion.

Happy New Year!
    Sherisa

30. This is so sensible…I love writing about health, but still not able to draw a road map on how to develop it…Thank you so much for your inputs..will try for sure.
    Thank you once again!

31. Kathy King says:

Thank you for taking the time to help other bloggers by writing this step by step post. The information you provided can be used as a guide to get into any other publication. I wish you an abundance of success in 2014 and beyond.

32. Anonymous says:

Thank you for this! Once you are accepted as a blogger, how long did it take for your submitted posts to be published?

33. manju says:

very sequentially explained the process.It is very encouraging for the newbie writers. Thanks a lot!

34. hlongwanetp says:

Thank you for sharing this post with me I find it very helpful as I’m a new blogger in the field and I want to penetrate and rule in the blogging business and make the best of it. I would just have to give myself time to read and comment to all your posts which interest me for me to get more knowledge and see how other bloggers do to become a success. Thank you

35. Social Bug says:

Reblogged this on sociallybugged and commented:
    Thanks for the advice 🙂

36. Renee Lynn says:

Thanks for this! Hopefully, I could one day write for the Huff!

37. Thanks for what you doing, it’s great and i am trying to writing some about cougar dating on Huff! it really helps me a lot

38. Louise says:

Thanks for sharing your insight. I’ve tried the Contact Us, Leave a Pitch route and never, ever have luck. You mentioned that you didn’t grow that route, was it a connection with an editor that helped you? Do you have any tips along those lines? Thank you again for sharing so generously.

39. robert may says:

old article but still relevant i think. I am hoping to get something published soon.

40. nancy ariss says:

Great Advice for a newbie blogger mom.

41. Thanx for the tips!! Can you point me in the right direction re a template for pitching an article to an editor? I have no idea where to begin…

• I’m not aware of any template. I would suggest interacting on Twitter with the content and the editors as that seems to get more traffic these days than the comment sections.

42. tonisorenson says:

Thanks for your insight and willingness to share. I love it when writers help writers.

43. hamzakahn says:

I also think, we need to spend much time working on our own craft, so that when the opportunity strikes, there is no chance of being rejected

1. December 30, 2012

[…] How to Become a Huffington Post Blogger […]

2. December 23, 2013

[…] How to Become a Huffington Post Blogger: Apparently a lot of people want to write for HuffPo. Getting on with them was certainly a big […]

3. April 30, 2015

[…] Post blogger Lisa Arends advocates reading posts daily in the section you would like to write for, and contributing […]

4. January 5, 2016

5. May 16, 2016

[…] How to Become a Huffington Post Blogger | Lessons From … – In the last few weeks, I have been receiving quite a few inquiries about how I started blogging for the Huffington Post. The short answer? It was a combination of … […]