I Reject Your Reality and Substitute My Own

1. I can relate to this. Lots of letters and lots of emails and lots of verbal attacks on my character. All false. It stings. At first I felt I needed to defend each one but there was no point. The attacks just kept coming. It has taken much grit to overcome the falseness portrayed by simply living by my own truth and proving him wrong.

2. Minus the suicide attempt this describes much of my relation ship with my ex. He still lives in his own reality and rejects the real reality. It does make you start to doubt yourself and question if maybe you really are the crazy one. Its such a devious form of abuse and I’m so glad you are shedding light in this darkness. Mine was also an alcoholic and I was farsighted for 4 years…and still going although not on a regular basis now that I’m stronger and we are separated. This was beautifully written although painful to read. I’m sorry this was yours, my, and many others reality and I pray we can starve it with belief in ourselves and a strong sense of self worth!

3. Gaslighted** auto correct haha

4. Wow… and I thought MY ex was horrible?! This whole situation SCREAMS that he still has feelings for you. He is ending his life because of YOU. His new wife should be livid! Yea… I’m sure that marriage is going to work. Anyway… I know exactly what you’re talking about, as my ex did the same thing. He has portrayed me as this crazy lunatic who deserves to be locked away somewhere, and the only thing that hurts about it is that my sister and her family (husband and 2 kids) have befriended this man and disowned me and my son, believing him. I’ve learned to know I am a good person (as are you) and I no longer allow his words to even penetrate. The go in one ear and out the other. I divorced him for a reason/s. They still apply. He will never change. And I will never stop being the good person I know I am, despite his attempts to bring me down. Keep being you! You are a good person, with excellent advice and have touched at least one person (me) but I’m pretty sure there are so many more. That alone speaks volumes. You are not crazy. You didn’t resort to a feeble attempt of suicide and nasty hate filled emails. He needs help. You’re doing just fine!! Just keep on keeping on. <3

~Kate

5. Meg says:

Lisa, you know that I can relate with almost all of your story…but this post left me shaking. We finally had trial on Monday and he was still gaslighting me from the stand. He constantly tells me that I’ve surrounded myself with yes men who will let be believe I’m right. So, even after the mountain of evidence I always end up doubting and believing that I was a horrible person and he was right to leave me. Even when I know I’m being gaslighted I still get sucked in. Thank you for the reminder…it was powerful, and very needed.

6. Beautifully written. I was also gaslighted and misrepresented behind my back, so I totally relate to the awful self-doubt. It’s madness! You start vigorously defending yourself–to yourself! And while you’re busy doing that, they abscond with the replacement spouse, because you’re “crazy.”

Surely there’s some secret sociopath handbook floating around. The Sociopath Handbook. Right?

7. I can relate so well! It is the final kick in the gut while the victim is laying there with their life shattered into a million pieces the abuser staggering to get back up the psychopath kicks their feet out from under them again and again.
    Adding insult to injury are the people who believe his lies, and it is amazing how many of the victim’s friends and family believe them! It is cruelty beyond belief and devastating.
    I found out in the end that it was actually a gift and the catalyst for huge personal growth for me. Because he slaughtered me through a campaign to discredit me and destroy my reputation I was forced to take an honest inventory of who I really am and it was through that self assessment that I came to realize what a good person I am. I literally felt like broken and in the process of putting all the pieces of me back together I analyzed each and every detail of me and the relationship and now have confidence and peace like I have never known in my life.
    Flippyzipflop, there is a tendency for the victim’s of psychopath’s and narcissists to assign emotions to the psychopath that they really aren’t feeling. it is a nature assumption to think the N must still have feelings for the victim when they go on a smear campaign but the truth of the matter is this is their true self. They don’t love, can’t love and once they have drained their victim of all resources they dispose of them in the most cruel way possible. Any love the victim thought they saw was all an act the psychopath used to hook them, once they are done with them the victim becomes garbage in the P’s eyes. It makes the psychopath feel powerful and one final act of control to show the victim how powerful he really is.
    They must win at all cost and they are never wrong or at fault and they almost always have the next victim lined up before they discard the previous one.
    They all follow the same format, as if they all got an instruction manual on how to be an a$$hxle.

• Anonymous says:

Omg, this is all so my life of the past 25 years!! It’s so scary to read and know that you lived it,”but while you were living in it you didn’t realize it!! My soon to be ex started a relationship with his new victim before I realized it and kicked him out, but 5 months later he still is trying to control certain parts of and my childrens lives!! But I am slowly learning what has been my life all this years!! Just so crazy yo knows there is truly people like this in the world!

• It is a gift. Wrapped in shrapnel. But a gift nonetheless.

8. I never heard that term, “gasslighting” before, but my ex was the expert. It’s all about telling skewed truths. Both my husband and I had to write statements for our divorced, and I was so shocked and hurt by what he wrote because I knew that their was a factual basis for his arguments, but they were manipulations of fact. I was afraid for anyone to read what he wrote because I thought they would recognize the truth part, and believe that I was the horrible person he made me out to be.
    I just wanted to say that your ex obviously couldn’t deal with his own reality (hence the suicide attempt), he would have died a complete coward, because even in death he couldn’t take responsibility for his reality, he tried to blame it on you. And what a jerk he is to expect his mother to side against her own daughter for a bigamist who left you so cruelly!!

9. How well I know this one. Hurts until you finally cut the line to your heart. Beautifully told. Thank you

10. DogDharma says:

This piece is oh-so-so on target! This is where I am on my healing journey, and has been the focus of my blog in recent posts. The gas-lighting is utterly treacherous. In my case, with a vision impairment, in a foreign country, no support system, and nothing familiar around me, it was especially hard to hang onto “my reality,” which was in fact “the reality.” Things became so bizarre, I’d witness stuff with my own eyes and be given “her version” of reality, and not know what to believe.
    Only in painstakingly going back over the hard evidence I’ve managed to save, and writing about it in black-and-white, am I regaining a sense of balance, and it is a hard battle. It’s been stunning to go through old emails and Skype transcripts and saved credit card records, photographs, and everything else, and realize that there were many things I didn’t even catch when I was in the fog.
    Lies heaped on top of more lies until reality itself begins to look like a Mobius strip. This is truly one of the most damaging aspects of being involved with a psychopath.
    Thank you for being brave, and thank you for writing this piece.

11. DogDharma says:

Reblogged this on Dog Dharma's Blog and commented:
    Lisa writes an excellent short piece on gas-lighting. Part of healing in the aftermath of a close encounter with a psychopath is overcoming the cognitive dissonance created by the gas-lighting of the psychopath. Her one line that stands out for me is:

“I picked apart each of his claims and refuted them one by one with physical evidence”

Physical evidence, tangible evidence, is something I have plenty of. I am putting back together the pieces of Truth, my truth, what happened to me. It is my healing journey, and I will soldier on.

Lisa closes by writing:

No one should have the power to create your reality other than you.

And your trust in another should never be greater than your trust in yourself.

Gaslighting thrives on doubt.

Starve it by believing in yourself.

12. annieemmy says:

Wow. I think we can all relate. When my marriage fell apart, my husband did the same thing with his family and our friends. I was so angry and confused. I felt like I had something to prove – that I was a good person, that I wasn’t the person he was portraying me as. This is so encouraging to know others have gone through this as well. Thank you for writing this.

13. wow. this post was very insightful of you to write. It must have taken some courage to be able to share it with the blogosphere.

I honestly had an epiphany while reading it… I can’t believe it. My ex used to gaslight me. I didn’t know what it was called, but I remember the feeling of questioning if the way he “perceived” reality was the true way and what I thought was real was not real.

He made me feel like I was fat to disguise the fact that he was the one who had gained tons of weight. He called me fat and told me it was because I was in a relationship and I was happy. I didn’t even realize it until I saw a photo of him MONTHS down the road and I was completely flabbergasted.

I still struggle with perception of my body. I was told by him countless things I was bad at, and I believed him. I told was told by him the fact that we had fallen apart and that he had cheated on me was because I had said something mean and he had decided the relationship was over then but waited months to tell me. But it was still my fault for pointing out that he was absent from the relationship. He could not take any of the blame, even though most of the flaws in our relationship were somehow caused by him, and so he made me feel like it was my fault.

On the other end after realizing all his lies and gas lighting and how it has affected me and allowed him to live in his tiny little bubble where he controls everything, I feel a lot better. It’s nice to know that I know that he gaslighted me but that I am the one who was able to escape that wretched bubble and he will always be stuck there because he is incapable of being a decent human being.

14. shdwmage says:

I must admit, that I had never heard of the term gaslighting until I read this blog post.

Its really sad to say that I think my ex-wife and I did this to each other over the years. I’m not certain when I did this, but knowing myself and my own insecurities I can see myself doing something like this unintentionally.

I’ve spent the last few weeks going through bins of stuff from my last move. I posted on my blog about it a few weeks ago, but I’ve found traces of lies going back for years and years. I wanted so desperately for our marriage to work I lost track of myself in the process and I’m certain she knew that and took advantage of it as well.

I know I can see it in her now, and I know I saw it in her the day I served her with divorce papers. I have hundreds of pages of text messages from when she kidnapped the children and ran off with another man. I have emails after the fact trying to put her hooks back into me.

Now that I can name it, it is that much easier to tell.

15. gracefulMESS says:

I was gaslighted by 3 different men before I started to realize I was attracted to gaslighters. Doing some serious soul searching to protect myself from this ever happening again!

16. debbiep2 says:

I just need to say thank you for putting a name to my reality. It’s been four years since my husband of 24 years decided to blow up our family, and he perfected the art of gaslighting. I’m still trying to recover both financially and emotionally. Your blog helps me in numerous ways every day. So, thank you, for your inspiration and help.

17. Reblogged this on unwickedstepmother and commented:
    This happened to my husband …

18. WritesinPJ's says:

This is such a well written and chilling example of what gaslighting really is.

19. I accused a woman of gaslighting me in this letter. But I wonder where the line is drawn between regular solipism/jedi mind trick and bonafide gaslighting? Accusations of gaslighting should not be made lightly. I wonder if I jumped the gun….

• I’m not sure there is a hard line. Gaslighting is pervasive – not just one lie, but an entire world built from deception. Gaslighting also uses misdirection that is aimed at making the victim feel like he/she is going crazy; it turns everything around.

20. Oh, so well explained!
    I spent so many years in the murky forest of my husband’s creation that I will need years to clear the twisted lies that try to snatch away my belief in myself. I even still have to catch my breath in fear that I made a horrible mistake destroying my family to escape him.
    Thank you for so coherently tackling the difficult explanation of gas lighting.

21. Reblogged this on pursuingthelostboysblog and commented:
    This is an amazing piece on gas lighting and being controlled by another and having your reality recreated by a narcissist or sociopath. This is often what the alienator does so the alienated parent. The alienator tells the kids that the alienated parent doesn’t care, that their efforts are too little too late or that they are crazy!

22. KDM says:

NAILED IT. Great work! This is the best description of gaslighting I’ve read so far. I’m so sorry you went through it.

23. KDM says:

Yeeessss :/

24. Sandy says:

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for writing this blog and telling your story. I have a horrible divorce story too and was gaslighted pretty bad. It turned my entire world upside down. I’m still trying to makes sense of things and not second guess myself and reading your blog has probably done more to expedite the healing process than really anything else I’ve tried. I just felt like my divorce my story, the gaslighting was so unrelatable, it isolated me for so long. I felt an enormous weight just knowing someone else experienced it too, understands the complicated feelings and trauma and is safely on the other side. You give me hope. Thank you so so much!

25. slk1217 says:

Reblogged this on slk1217's Blog.

26. AMJ says:

Found your blog after you followed mine (thank you!) – and my God, does this post resonate. I am 4+ years out from an emotionally abusive marriage, and the gaslighting that happened almost daily is something I am still working to repair myself from. I have twisted myself around, so desperate to find the “truth” that I’ve neglected to frame things in terms of my reality vs. his reality. Somewhere in there, the “truth” of the nature of the relationship exists, but does it really matter? I don’t have to live with his reality anymore – I only have to live with mine, and that’s what I have to come to terms with. Thank you for sharing your story, and cheers to you for coming out the other side.

27. Lyn says:

The first time I realized that I’d been gaslighted for years was when I found and read my husband’s diary. In it, he described in depth his affair with a married coworker. When I confronted him about it, he started explaining that I misunderstood what I’d read. It was so strange to watch sincere and reassuring words come out of his mouth while comprehending what I’d just read in black and white. That’s when it really dawned on me what a good liar he was, and how many times he’d reassured me there was nothing to worry about when that clearly was not the case.

28. chris1731 says:

I thought I was going crazy. My wife said I was going through a mid-life crisis and I needed to see a therapist. I had lost 25lbs, was sleeping 3 hrs. a night… I though I was losing my mind.

I finally did see a therapist and soon discovered I wasn’t crazy! OMG, WTF….The lies, upon lies an misdirection and much of it I believed and thought was the truth… I trusted her implicitly!

Today I discovered that her affair had been going on for years… close to half of our marriage…..I was living an altered realty then and still she continues to manipulate it to her benefit. She even told my kids I was going crazy! They figured out quickly while I had them on vacation that I wasn’t.

29. taketwo2017 says:

I needed to read this today. I share an affinity with so many of your words.

Thank you.

30. Anonymous says:

Very good article as always! Its comforting to read others that have gone through character assassination with friends/family (hers/ours) or at least being made to feel that you were at fault for their actions or decisions and made to feel like you’re taking crazy pills. I have always counseled friends saying you can’t expect a reasonable response from an unreasonable person and unfortunately I had to take a serious dose of my own medicine this past year and a half. I had never heard of “gaslighting” until faced with my wife leaving and placing blame on me and finding friends to validate her decisions by telling her reality to those same destructive friends that became an obstacle in our ending marriage. Guilty or irresponsible people will seek the advice they’re looking for like electricity and the path of least resistence. You are providing such a valuable media vessel to those of us who are healing slowly and when pain turns to frustration, then to acceptance, then eventually and hopefully healing and ultimate freedom from the pain that was laid on our doorstep (like the family pet bringing a dead animal home). Learning to not accept their reality or excuses to not have to accept the responsibility of THEIR actions is truly key to surviving this and thriving in a new life. Stay strong dear friends and keep up the good work Lisa! TTFN, Neil

• Love the analogy of the pet bringing home the dead animal to the doorstep. Powerful and true.

You are so right about many seeking the path of least resistance- I equate it to the “get rich quick” or “lose 10 pounds” people. It may feel good to hear, but it won’t get you anywhere.

31. ingrid Elizabeth santos says:

This article hit so close to home as i am dealing with my divorce. Now it starts to make sense how so much love can turn into hate. How he wants everyone to see him as a victim and me as an enemy.

1. August 19, 2014

[…] didn’t like reading how many of you relate to being gaslighted. It’s one of those areas that I know for me is still tender. There is much un-probed because […]

2. August 21, 2014

[…] her blog post yesterday, lisa refers to a letter that her ex wrote when he vaguely attempted suicide.  when she […]

3. August 21, 2014

[…] abuse.  For more info, Lisa Arends has written two timely articles this week about it here and here.  It’s heavy stuff, but real…and I think more people need to know this kind of sh** […]

4. August 22, 2014

[…] read a blog post  yesterday about something called Gaslighting. It is basically a form of abuse used to make someone […]

5. September 20, 2014

[…] “Me too,” I replied. But did I really have a distaste for the flowers? Or was I trying to show my allegiance to my mum-hating boyfriend? It’s scary to contemplate the latter. That I may have suppressed the urge to disagree with him on something so trivial. It makes me wonder what else I let him decide for me? […]

6. October 27, 2014

[…] Even though I decided to ultimately leave him labelless, I gained understanding of the fact that I had been gaslighted and I realized that he had some major […]

7. November 9, 2014

[…] was still approaching life like a game. He was attracted to risks. He seemed to enjoy being able to manipulate people with his stories and actions. He had an amazing ability to read people and steer them in the direction he […]

8. December 14, 2014

[…] gaslighting doesn’t necessarily stop when the relationship […]

9. May 16, 2017

[…] of the truth and invention of new untruths. I found an article that deals with the subject, “I Reject Your Reality and Substitute My Own” By Stilllearng2b.  I will share with you some of her quotes and my thoughts on those […]