My Husband Walked Into a Bar

1. muddy runner says:

What a great story. I still hold onto the notes my (soon to be ex) wife wrote to me. Even though our relationship is over, I can’t let myself get rid of them.

2. This is such a fabulous post. Thank you so much for sharing. What a remarkable mentality of this woman. She is definitely an inspiration to me. If this woman, in her 70s, can have that mindset about her life then I, at 24, most certainly can.

3. Colleen says:

Thank you this was the perfect post to start my day. I so want to be in my 70’s and choosing to eat dessert every meal rather than be in a nursing home where they won’t let me have salt because it might affect my blood pressure. I think I will go eat a piece of chocolate.

4. Melanie says:

Notes are precious – little snippets of love. When I left my ex I took every single one of them. I was actually surprised he kept any, until I read the ones he kept (as I burned them in a fire).
    It’s wonderful this woman has hers, and that you have yours. They hold the voice of the writer.

5. I KNOW this woman. 🙂

6. Chico says:

Reblogged this on Sixty and Single Again.

7. aprileb says:

I love this. I love her advice of writing notes too. My mum is 68 and claims she is not yet middle-aged. I feel like this lady is the same, and she has some new adventures just waiting to happen.

8. Jennie Saia says:

Yes, yes, yes to the notes. We forget the little things so easily, but together they are the things that make us who we are. I really love this post.

9. widows …yes we know it all……!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Liv says:

We email and text all the time. It’s not precisely the same…but we write.

11. coastalmom says:

Hind sight is 20/20 (no pun intended) smile. Love the tattoo story. My first husband and I were married for 14 years. I remember we went to a marriage retreat and came back so revived. We’d written letters to each other all weekend. (The idea was, that you write letters and eventually learn to communicate with out letters, guess they’d never heard about texting back then!) When we came home to pick up our young son at a much older couple’s house, I remember the husband saying… “Don’t ever lose this!!!” And my husband reassured him we wouldn’t. I wrote SEVERAL more letters to him. He never wrote to me. Except after our divorce, telling me in not so many words that he regretted our divorce. A little too late, I was remarried by then. We’d tried. Well I’d tried. I even been stupid enough to think that having another baby after already being married for ten years, would help. It always seems too late. We separated when she was 3. (But I will never regret having her! She was the BEST going away present I could have asked for! And we laughed about it later. We had a very amicable divorce. We said it was for “the kids” but I suspect we both never stopped loving each other. My first husband has since died. And slowly, all those things I remembered have too… but I do remember the promises and the reflections, the way we’d spend the night on our roof top of our first apartment in San Pedro, a block from the beach on hot summer nights. Or the times we’d talk in the after glow of making love, as he’d light up a cigarette and tell me. If ever left him, he’d never get over it. But that he knew how stubborn he was and he’d never EVER let me know. A thousand years later… When he was in the last stages of a quick 3 month diagnosis (lung cancer) my daughter and I went to him before he died, to say our separate goodbyes. And he begged me not to leave him. He died the next day. It always haunted me, that I didn’t stay. And I am not talking just about at the end. It destroyed me. I took my vows very seriously as a young 21 year old novice. When I was 36 I said those same vows again to a man who deserved me to feel the same way about them. I didn’t believe in those vows in exactly the same way ever again. And I’ve paid for it. Just recently, I have been reflecting on marriage. Found this blog and love it. I guess in conclusion, I’ve realized that people hurt you. They dent your faith in love. But it is possible to recover and even believe in it again! I almost missed the whole message I was meant to GET!

1. January 23, 2014

[…] I don’t think you’ll find him on the internet. If you’re lucky, maybe he’ll pick up the same woman my husband did. […]